Hidden plumbing leaks can cause a lot of damage over time in your Cresskill, New Jersey home. Even a small hole in a pipe can waste a significant amount of water, as well as causing severe water damage over time to your walls, floors, and furniture. If left unrepaired, a plumbing leak hidden in your walls can cause hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of damage. If you suspect a leak in your home, call us today at 2 Plumbers for leak detection and leak repair in NJ.
Common Signs of a Leaky Pipe
Even a small leak in one of your household pipes can cause expensive, widespread water damage over time. Although it’s obvious when a pipe bursts catastrophically, since the flooding is often severe and immediate, small leaks and drips can go unnoticed by busy Cresskill homeowners for weeks or even months. Pipes from manufacturers like Grainger, Mueller Industries, and North American Pipe can wear down over time, eventually springing a potentially serious leak. Recognizing the warning signs that you might have a plumbing leak can save you a lot of money and a major hassle. The sooner you call a local NJ plumbing company for plumbing repair, the less water damage you’ll have to deal with.
The most common signs that a pipe somewhere in your home is leaking include:
- Discoloration on the wall or ceiling. Over time, the leaking water will damage walls and ceilings, creating a spot that appears dull and discolored.
- Sagging or drooping ceiling. Water damage can also weaken the ceiling, causing the affected area to sag downward.
- Peeling paint or wallpaper. In addition to discoloration, the paint or wallpaper near a leak will begin to chip or peel away.
- Floor damage. Along with the walls and ceilings, your flooring is also susceptible to water damage. Even durable tile floors may begin to crack, buckle, and come apart if they’re subjected to water leakage from a broken or cracked pipe.
- Localized mold and mildew growth. Moist areas from a leaking pipe are a haven for microorganisms. You may notice a certain area keeps growing mold or mildew, even after you scrub it away. This is often a sign that a leaking pipe is creating a continuous supply of moisture for fungi and bacteria to grow.
- Musty smells. Even if you don’t have any visible mold growth, it could be lurking in a hidden place near the leak. Musty smells are often indicative of standing water, which creates an ideal habitat for bacteria and other organisms.
- Dripping sounds. In some cases, a pipe leak might be audible. If you hear persistent dripping noises, and it’s not coming from any of your fixtures, you may want to call a NJ plumber about leak detection and plumbing repair.
- Rising water bills. Water that leaks out of a pipe is wasted, and the constant water flow can lead to an increase in your monthly utility bills.
If you suspect that your home plumbing may have a leak hidden somewhere in the walls or ceilings, don’t hesitate to call a professional plumbing contractor for help. At masters plumbers, we provide professional leak detection and water leak repair in Cresskill, NJ. Call us today at 201-765-0466.